Quality and Tradition since 1836

Companhia das Lezírias is the largest agriculture, cattle and forest farmstead in Portugal, covering the marshlands of Vila Franca de Xira, Charneca do Infantado and Pauis (Belmonte, Lavouras and Magos), totaling about 18,000 hectares.

The Lezíria [marshy land] lies between the Tejo and the Sorraia Rivers and is divided by the road Recta do Cabo (E.N. 10 - Vila Franca de Xira/Porto Alto) into north and south Lezíria.

The north Lezíria consists of about 1,300 hectares which are operated indirectly (tenant farmers).

The south Lezíria totals about 5,200 hectares, of which 3,000 are operated indirectly (tenant farmers) and about 2,000 are used for pastures and fodder production.

Charneca do Infantado and Pauis both total an area of about 11,500 hectares.

After the pastures and the fodder production area, rice is the predominant crop, covering an area of 1,100 hectares, followed by 140 hectares of corn.

Companhia das Lezírias has undergone a series of difficulties over the years. It was nationalized in 1975 and later, in 1989, it became a public limited company wholly owned by public funds.

Since 1997, Companhia das Lezírias has consolidated its situation over time in both technological and financial terms, based on a philosophy of a sustained development.